Ambien is a beneficial remedy for the treatment of sleeping traits, such as insomnia. Generally, many adults experience insomnia due to anxiety, workload, or social problems. Sometimes, insomnia becomes frequent, and it starts troubling your daily life. In this situation, you should seek medical advice for the treatment. Your doctor is likely to prescribe Ambien for the procedure.
What is Ambien and how does it work
Ambien is a prescription drug that is approved by the FDA for insomnia. Besides, some doctors also use it off-label for anxiety and depression. In the United States, doctors precisely prescribe it to adults over 16 years of age. Thus, do not use this drug if your child has sleeping problems.
The drug works by calming down the nerves and slowing down the brain. It reduces the activities of the mind to make you feel calm and sleep. Besides, the drug helps you fall asleep and remain sleeping for the required time. However, it might also make you feel dizzy after waking up. For more information, read your prescription label or ask it with your doctor.
Effects of Ambien
When taken as prescribed, the effects of Ambien are positive and useful for insomnia. It is the most effective medicine for this purpose. Besides, in non-medical usage, the drug may work effectively or cause some side effects. However, the risks of harmful effects are substantial in recreational usage.
Some of the common side effects of Ambien may include:
- skin rash
- stomach cramps
- upset stomach
These harmful effects might become severe in some situations. Therefore, seek a medical cure by consulting with your doctor.
Who should not take Ambien (Zolpidem)
Ambien is not safe to use for every patient. Thus, doctors perform several tests before prescribing the medication to a patient. Besides, your doctor will also discuss your medical history. However, a person should not use Ambien in the following situations:
- Avoid this drug if you have drug or alcohol addiction.
- Doctors do not prescribe Zolpidem to a pregnant or nursing patient. Thus, please do not use it during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Do not take this drug if you are allergic to ingredients in Ambien.
For detailed information, consult with your prescribing doctor.
Precautions for proper usage of the drug
A person can avoid the side effects by taking prescribed dosages. Besides, following the doctor’s directions will also help. Ask your prescribing doctor if you do not understand the dosages or precautions.
However, take the following precautions while using this drug:
- Avoid alcohol and liquor while using Zolpidem. Alcohol can increase the effects of Ambien and create an overdose.
- Take the oral doses without crushing or licking the tablet.
- Store your pills at a safe place and do not share it with your friends or family members.
- Use proper caution if you have liver or kidney disease.
- Take the prescribed doses and do not make changes in them.
For more information, discuss it with your health care provider.